The Day Time Stood Still

The Day Time Stood Still
Close-up of the town Katrina Memorial.

Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Welcome to the Coast

I've been on the Gulf Coast of Mississippi for just over three weeks now, working as a volunteer coordinator for a faith-based community justice ministry. It's not my first time down here, or my first time working on the Gulf Coast since Hurricane Katrina hit, but my term of service--9 months--will definitely be the longest, most intense, and, I hope, most rewarding experience yet. It's my aim while here to try to answer the call of the prophet Micah: "What does the Lord require of you but to do justice, to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?" while I serve those around me.
My role is to coordinate volunteers who come in from all over the country to spend a week rehabilitating the houses and the lives of those hit hard by Katrina. I do logistics, provide hospitality, and basically try to make their stay here meaningful and profitable both to them and to the under-resourced, underprivileged clients we serve (we typically work with community members whose income falls below 40-60% of the AMI [Area Median Income] or who are homeless). In theory, I facilitate direct service rather than hammering the nails myself; but it often happens that I'm in work clothes, loading tile or carrying sheet rock, or up on a roof getting my dose of nail-guns and shingles.
I also try to build relationships with our clients and participate in community events because I believe that solidarity, not charity, is the best way to work with others toward a more socially and economically just world.

I'm looking to make this blog a mix of sober, reflective posts concerning the lamentable state of recovery and the outrageously unjust circumstances that the storm revealed, and more entertaining, anecdotal stories about life as a white Illinois native transplanted to the Deep South. Questions, comments, and constructive criticism are welcome--enjoy!

-Leah

1 comment:

Stacey Rago said...

Leah:

I wanted to share with you some of my pictures from after Katrina, especially of the destruction to some of the homes, but I'm not sure how to get them to you. Suggestions?

-Stacey Rago
srago5@comcast.net